Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oil City Derby Girls Rock...and Roll

Chicks wearing fishnet stockings, roller skates and elbow pads can mean only one thing… roller derby.

Edmonton’s Oil City Derby Girls deliver mix-em-up action with bad-ass attitude. From the minute you hear the pounding music as you walk through the front door you know you’re in for a raucous good time. And when you see the skaters bumping and grinding their way around the track, you can’t help but get drawn in to the action.

Even if you don’t fully understand roller derby rules you’ll still have a good time watching the teams battle it out. And you have to like a sport where competitors are required to show off their “don’t mess with me attitude” through names like Dizz Aster, Bamm Bamm, and Lethal Lyn Jection.

The following video was taken from the “suicide seating” section of the venue. Enjoy!



Upcoming Oil City Derby Girls home games are June 12, August 14, September 18, October 16, and November 20.

Other Alberta teams that belong to the Canadian Women’s Flat Track Roller Derby Association:

2 comments:

  1. I love roller derby! this reminds me of the olden days when my brother and I would run in cicles in the basement yelling... "here comes Skinny Minny Miller on the inside lane"
    the original roller derby !
    great job Janelle,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch!!! but I am intrigued. Again, you have opened my eyes to an activity in Alberta I would have never considered. Thanks Janelle!
    Wendy
    aka Boom Boom Maroooson (my new derby name:) JIC)

    ReplyDelete