Sunday, April 18, 2010

Art vs Architecture at the Art Gallery of Alberta

I admit it. I went to the Art Gallery of Alberta to see the architecture not the art. That might seem like sacrilege to art lovers, but I was very excited to see the building that has transformed downtown Edmonton into a more hip and avant-garde destination.

The building, created by Randall Stout Architects, Inc., incorporates stainless steel, zinc, wood, cement and glass into a very fluid, modern and stylish design. The interior of the art gallery features a 190-metre undulating strip of steel that winds through the building’s three floors of exhibition space. The free flowing nature of the feature pays homage to the North Saskatchewan River and Aurora Borealis. The building itself is a modern art sculpture of metal and glass that blurs the line between art and architecture. Although the initial attraction was the architecture, the art also got my attention. I spent a while admiring the intricacy of Goya’s prints and I was pleasantly surprised by the Degas exhibit. I’m not a fan of Degas’ paintings and drawings but I fell in love with his sculptures.

The Karsh exhibit documented the illustrious career of one of Canada’s most famous portrait photographers. Karsh captured the essence of many of the world’s most influential scientists, artists and political leaders. I learned the famous photos of Churchill and Einstein that I’ve seen many times over the years are Karsh’s work. My love of photography made this exhibit the highlight of my visit.

I even ventured out of my comfort zone and experienced the gallery’s sound exhibits. The Murder of Crows and the Storm Room showcase the art in sound.

The Art Gallery of Alberta does what a good art gallery should – encourages visitors to find a new appreciation for art, learn something new and broaden their horizons. So, although I initially went for the architecture, in the end I stayed for the art.

See more photos of the Art Gallery of Alberta in the sidebar on the right side of the page.

3 comments:

  1. The last time I was at the art gallery was about 18 years ago and compared to Vancouver where I was from, it was so disappointing. Bland, dull, dusty. But after reading your article I feel inspired to go have a look see. Sounds like it will be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for years for Edmonton to finally tear down the previous inadequate, pathetic EAG building and build a new exciting gallery. The city and the new AGA has not disappointed me! All the exhibits I saw were awesome, Goya, Karsh, Degas. Even 'Murder of the Crows' and the 'Storm Room' exhibits intrigued me. I can't wait to renew my gallery membership after all these years. It has been a long wait Edmonton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was googling zinc for texture in an architecture rendering and stumbled on this. Interesting building and find for an architecture student from Boston, US. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete